Text editors is a tool which used for editing plaint text files. We all usually use text editors to take notes, change configuration files, write programming code, writing a book and as well as other uses. Every operating system or software development packages are provided text editors with a default.
Fast and full-featured text editors, can help us to speeding up the process. not only that, the simple, minimal and lighweight but powerful are become one of the factors why the text editor is a favorite among of us, especially for web designers / web developer.
If you get annoyed when you write with a lot of features on text editors, you might want to try one of the so-called “minimalist” text editors. They are “no-frills” editors that either don’t offer any formatting features or many of the other features of modern word processors or the features are hidden until you want them. Without all the fancy features, you can concentrate on the task of writing.
In this article, we’ve collected a list of some of the minimalist text editors used for different purposes. You can use text editors according to our needs.
1. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a clean, functional and fast text editor for write programming code. You’ll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.it has support for plugins, snippets, and many other things.
- Command Palette
- File Switching
- Goto Symbols
- Keyboard Shortcuts
- and much more
Scribes is an simple, sleek and minimalistic text editor that was designed to make you more productive by ‘intelligently optimizing’ your workflow. it is a very interesting text editor with remote editing support. It’s only available for linux
- Extensible via Python plugins
- Remote editing (ftp, sftp, ssh, samba, webdav, webdavs)
- Automatic word completion
- Automatic correction and replacement
- Automatic pair character completion and smart insertion
- Automatic indentation
- Powerful text processing and manipulation functions
- Bookmarks and smart navigation
- Document Switcher
- Syntax colors for over 30 languages
- and much more
3. Dark Room
Dark Room is a full screen, simple and free writing environment text editor. Unlike standard word processors that focus on features, Dark Room is just about you and your text. It’s available for Windows, requires .NET Framework 2.0, and it’s also available as a portable program.
Q10 is a simple but powerful text editor designed and built with writers in mind. It is freeware and runs under Windows. It’s Available for Windows and as a portable program and No version for Linux or Mac is planned.
- Perfectly portable.
- Live text statistics.
- Standard and clean text format.
- Programmable page count formula.
- Autocorrections and quick text.
- Typing sound effects.
- and much more
FocusWriter is a simple, distraction-free writing environment text editor. It utilizes a hide-away interface that you access by moving your mouse to the edges of the screen, allowing the program to have a familiar look and feel to it while still getting out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in your work. It’s Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, and as a portable program for Windows, and has been translated into many different languages.
- TXT, basic RTF, and basic ODT file support
- Fully customizable themes
- Timers and alarms
- Daily goals
- Typewriter sound effects (optional)
- Auto-save (optional)
- Live statistics (optional)
- Spell-checking (optional)
- Multi-document support
- Portable mode (optional)
- Translated into over 20 languages
JDarkRoom is a simple full-screen text editor with none of the usual bells and whistles that might distract you from the job in hand. If you are writing a speech, novel, essay, thesis or just need to be able to concentrate on your writing, then JDarkRoom may help you. It’s was heavily inspired by DarkRoom, an implementation of WriteRoom (which is a Mac-only application) for Windows. It’s Available for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
- Text antialiasing (where possible)
- Text search (F7 / Ctrl-F)
- Export to HTML using Markdown
- ‘Typewriter scrolling’ mode (experimental)
- Adjustable margins to fit any screen resolution (F9 to reset)
- Change your colour preferences, font and font size – via the settings screen (F6)
- Word/line/character count (Ctrl-L)
- An much more
Bookwrite is a text editor software designed to help authors to write their books. It provides a full screen editor without any nuisances, that allow authors to focus completely on their texts. It also provides a few other features, that will be added for each new version. It’s Available for Windows and Linux
CopyWriter is a basic editor for all day use. As a lightweight general purpose editor it is capable of opening *.txt, *.rtf, *.doc and binary files.
- Runs on a Pentium 100 Mhz with Windows 95 or from an USB stick
- Opens *.txt, *.rtf and *.doc files
- No usage of the registry (except for file associations)
- RichEdit functionality with multiple undo
- Shortcuts for every function
- Integrated hex viewer for binary files
- Writers mode
- Expand functionality with CopyWriter Utilities
Writemonkey is a Windows zenware* writing application with an extremely stripped down user interface, leaving you alone with your thoughts and your words. It is light, fast and free. With an array of innovative tools under the hood and full Markdown* support, it helps you write better. It’s Available for Windows and as a portable program
Ommwriter is one of the text editor apps that has definitely inspired many a copy-cat. With support for multiple backgrounds, different sound effects and music. It’s avalilable for Mac (and now iPad and Windows!)
bywordapp is aSimple and efficient text editor for Mac, iPhone and iPad. It’s designed to make writing more enjoyable with Markdown. All the tools you need to write effectively, with keyboard shortcuts, word counters with live update, and more.
12. Writer Pro
Writer Pro is one of the more popular minimal text editors out there, with a Powerful Set of Tools. It’s only available for both Mac and iOS